Following competencies will be expected from a student completing 4 years degree course in Operation Theatre Technology. The student should be proficient in:
- Cleaning, packing, sterilization, maintenance and storage of instruments and other equipment used in Operation Theatre and recovery room.
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the Operation Theatre and the recovery room prior to operations.
- Preparing and checking surgery equipments and instruments prior to operations.
- Receiving and caring the patient during different surgical maneuvers and in recovery room.
- Assisting the doctor during the surgery and providing supplies for the surgical team.
- Undertaking safety checks on surgical sundries.
- Carrying out instructions of the medical staff in order to relieve pain and discomfort.
- Monitoring the patient’s condition.
- Handing over the care of the patient to the ward staff.
- Working as a member of the team.
- Taking precautions to ensure the health and safety of himself and others.
- Leading the team of technicians and assistants to perform the above mentioned jobs.
- Report writing.
- Maintenance of stocks and inventories of the instruments and equipment.
- Collaboration and coordination with the instruments and equipment repair workforce.
- Any other reasonable and related duty assigned by the Operation Theatre In-charge.