Following competencies will be expected from a student completing 4 years degree course in Medical Laboratory Technology. The student should be able to:
- Learn and apply the practical theory (new techniques and procedures) of the laboratory directly to workplace settings
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology with special emphasis on writing and understanding the laboratory reports.
- Select and use appropriate, safe and effective tools to solve a variety of problems pertaining to collecting, transporting, handling and conducting tests on laboratory samples
- Demonstrate knowledge of utilizing and performing corrective and preventative maintenance on a variety of instruments and sensitive (automated) equipments.
- Relate laboratory results to common disease process and draw and defend reasonable conclusions with proper satisfaction of the patients and their concerns.
- Perform and monitor quality control within predetermined limits in the laboratory.
- Help in the upgrading and expansion of the instrumentation and equipments and other supplies used in the laboratory.